We know most people are home-bound during this Coronavirus epidemic, so we wanted to help ease the boredom by providing a list of ideas of things to do during this unfortunate time.
Find your weekly Plano Online Guide here. Here you will find a calendar of weekly virtual opportunities from Plano Parks & Rec, Plano Libraries, Plano Arts & Events, Plano Police, and Live Green in Plano.
Watch a Plano Arts & Events Virtual Event
Local artists can contact Plano Arts & Events to be included in a local artist spotlight. Parents can also send their children’s artwork to be included in the weekly Student Virtual Art Exhibit; just send a photo of the art, the child’s first name, grade and school. All can be submitted to email@example.com or direct message @planoarts on Facebook.
Watch a Plano Public Library Virtual Event
The Plano Public Library offers eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines & Newspapers, and video streaming HERE for Plano Public Library cardholders. Learn how to use the Library online here. Not a Plano Library cardholder? Sign-up here! You can also watch Plano Library Facebook lives where they will go-live with virtual opportunities like preschool story time and active story time.
- Learn a second language using a language app.
- Join an ancestry website and start working on your family tree.
- Try cooking lessons using the Food Network app.
Tune In to Several Legacy West Events
Legacy West is planning some amazing virtual events! From virtual kids activities to virtual happy hour, don’t miss these events from the comfort of your own house.
Tune In to the Plano Symphony Orchestra
The PSO will broadcast several previously performed concerts for free starting March 28 at 8 p.m. and will continue every Saturday evening at 8 p.m. for the next five Saturdays.
Plan a Virtual Happy Hour
What’s a better way to stay connected with your friends than by hosting a virtual happy hour! First, pick a video chat platform that is best for everyone (Zoom, Google Hangouts, Facebook, FaceTime, Skype, etc.), then select a time, send out the invite, and tell everyone to bring a drink. Here’s an article on “How to Have Successful Virtual Happy Hour“.
Take Online Classes
Here is a list of 40 Amazing Ivy League Classes You Can Take Online for Free via Mental Floss.
Tour The ArtCentre of Plano
The ArtCentre created this great virtual tour of their current exhibition here.
North Texas Performing Arts
Take virtual classes from the North Texas Performing Arts. With 30 years of experience in performing arts education, North Texas Performing Arts is excited to bring a full curriculum of fun and unique interactive classes that you can join online! Their classes are taught by extraordinary directors, actors and singers who have worked everywhere from Broadway to L.A.
Listen to Live Music from Plano Arts & Events
History Lesson with Haywire
Hey, parents — let Haywire handle your home school history lesson! Tune into Facebook Live on Tuesdays at 10:30am for Texas history with Front Burner Family’s own Sheriff Charles.
Live Stream with Legacy Hall
Virtual Work Out with Camp Gladiator
Every Friday morning from 9:00am-9:30am via Facebook Live @legacywestplano. Need a little movement in your stay at home routine? Join in each week for Legacy West Virtual Workouts with Camp Gladiator! Camp Gladiator Plano is dedicated to transforming lives through dynamic, fun and challenging workouts led by amazing Trainers who inspire you to discover your best self.
Tips from Plano Parks & Rec
Play Plano Bingo
Share on your social media and tag @VisitPlano #loveplano.
Around the House
- Organize old photos and digitize them with sites like Legacy Box, Amazon Photo, or DropBox.
- Clean out and organize closets and pantries; donate unwanted items later to a local charity.
- Work in your yard: clean flower beds, rake the yard, or plant seeds and new flowers.
- Put out your springtime decor.
- Spring clean your home.
- Download our FREE Plano coloring book here.
- Teach kids old-school card games like Go Fish and War.
- Build a house out of playing cards.
- Play dominoes. Ever heard of the game Chicken Foot?
- Play games like Hop Scotch, jacks, marbles, and Cat’s Cradle.
- Puzzles are good for the whole family.
- Let them dress-up & pretend.
- Crayons, paints, water color, finger painting, and other arts & crafts.
- Plan a scavenger hunt.
- Let them help cook dinner or bake.
- FaceTime with grandparents, family, and friends.
- Leave sidewalk chalk messages for neighbors walking by.
- Use painters tape to design a geometric pattern on the fence that the kids can use chalk to color in.
- Support local restaurants. Being home 24/7 means A LOT of cooking (and cleaning). Treat yourself and the family to a family pack (and margaritas to-go for you). Find a list of Plano restaurant offerings during the Coronavirus outbreak here.
- Watch our list of That’s Tempting videos for restaurant inspiration.
- Support local shops by ordering online.
- Buy gift cards online or curbside and save for future use.
- Have your kids create cards to virtually send to doctor offices, hospitals, nurses, teachers, and local fire/police departments.
- The Texas Pool has a Little Free Pantry to share items with those in-need in our community. Share what you have; take what you need.
- Set up a basket of snacks and treats for delivery drivers, mailmen, and grocery clerks.
- Take a driving tour of Plano’s public art. Use this “Must See Public Art” blog post to help you plan your tour.
Take a Self Distancing Walk in a Plano Park
Explore Plano parks and trails here.
Safely Play a Round of Golf
Pecan Hollow and Ridgeview Ranch golf courses are open and will adhere to the current social distancing guidelines established by the Attorney General, as well as provide additional measures that will reduce any health risk to the golfers.
From our @VisitPlano Instagram followers:
- Follow Me by Kathleen Barber
- The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel
Movie & TV Show Recommendations
Check out this great list of 100 movies to watch for a Coronavirus escape by USA Today.
From our @VisitPlano Instagram followers:
- Onward – Disney
- The Leftovers – HBO Go
- Lovesick – Netflix
- Picnic at Hanging Rock – Amazon
- Derry Girls – Netflix
- Alias Grace – Netflix
- Black Sails – Hulu
- Justified – Hulu/Amazon
- Peaky Blinders – Netflix
- Narcos – Netflix
- Killing Eve – Hulu
- Good Girls – Hulu
- Zombies 2 – Disney
- Spies in Disguise – Amazon Prime
For more blog articles of things to see & do in Plano, explore them here.