- This event has passed.
Remember the Fallen at Plano Peace Officers Memorial Service
May 16, 2019 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
Plano Police hosts their annual Peace Officers Memorial Day service Thursday, May 16. The department’s event starts at 11 a.m. in Municipal Center’s Council Chamber.
The program includes:
- Remarks from Chief Gregory Rushin
- Dayna Tolley (Public Safety Communications) performing the National Anthem
- Presentation of the memorial wreath
- 21-gun salute by the Plano Police Honor Guard
- TAPS by Public Information Officer David Tilley
- The Plano Firefighters pipes and drums featuring PD bagpiper James Babb
In 1962, President John F. Kennedy signed a proclamation designating May 16 as Peace Officers Memorial Day and the week in which that date falls as Police Week.
Peace Officers Memorial Day honors federal, state and local officers killed in the line of duty. Many businesses and community members lower flags in remembrance of these law enforcement officers who died in the line of duty during the past year. Special roses are placed on the wreath for each of the 12 fallen Texas Law Enforcement officers killed since January 2018.
The Plano Fire-Rescue Honor Guard and honor guards from several surrounding law enforcement agencies are also a part of the service.
Watch the service live on the City of Plano Facebook page. A reception with refreshments immediately follows the service, compliments of the Plano Citizens Police Academy Alumni Association. Call 972-941-2433 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.